Education (ED) Visa for Thailand: FAQ

All your questions regarding the Education or ED Visa answered from Koh Samui Language School!

A a Non-Immigration E Visa

Students can get ED visas inside Thailand from immigration in Samui

The most popular and easiest places to collect your visa from is either from Malaysia, in Penang or Laos, in Vientiane.

Simple answer, Yes.

Depends which country you reside in, please contact your local embassy and enquire for more details.

Around 2,000 TBH, which is roughly $60.

No, there are Tourist visas and Business visas to, it just depends which one suits you best.

No, some of our students do not require one. But it is always suggested if tourists take any official education in Thailand you should have an Education Visa.

Yes, we have students studying under tourist visas.

No, an education visa can be extended at the local immigration office every 3 months.

The price varies and it depends if you want to visit immigration yourself to extend your visa. The standard charge is 1,900 TBH every extension. If you don’t want to visit immigration yourself, the charge is 3,500 TBH. We will update this when new information comes to light.

Depends how long you’re enrolled in education. But only one year at a time. After one year, you will need to leave Thailand and get a new ED visa.

At the moment there is no limit, as long as you get a new visa every year.

No, you must apply for a new visa.

Yes, it you have a multiple entry visa then you are entitled to leave the country and return using the same multiple entry visa. However you are advised not to be out of the country for more than 1 month.

Currently only a select few countries have major visa restrictions imposed. These countries are Bangladesh, China, India, Iran, Sri-Lanka and other Middle Eastern countries. If you are from one of these countries or are not sure you must apply from you country of origin.

If your visa application was sent back to you then ask them why it was denied, most embassies should explain the reason. At this point depending on the reason you can either reapply or enter on a tourist visa. If you tell us what extra documents you need, we can send them by email or DHL the same day.

Yes, new rules dictate that people may only reside in country 1 year on a tourist visa, but the rules are un-clear and have left a lot of agencies in confusion. You can apply for the visa, yet even if you are granted you may be turned away at immigration. The safest way in if you have a visa is to fly.

No, if you want to be here for a short stay then the free 30 day entry stamps are provided on arrival to the country, they can be extended 3 times.

No, if you have 6 months or less on your passport you cannot apply for a visa.

If you’re not comfortable with the idea then don’t do it. But remember, it’s a big step for anyone, calmly make up your mind.

Education visa holders are required to attend 8 hours of classes per week. If this is not met then their visa could be revoked. Also at immigration centers during visa extensions they sometimes perform a on the spot test to see if you have been attending.

No, you do not need it. However our involvement makes the process a lot easier and quicker.

If the child is under 14 then they will be included in your visa and not be required to have their own.

It will take 2-4 weeks to get your application back then depends on when you get to an embassy. Once submitted it should either be instant or within 24 hours.

To get the approval letter it normally takes nearer 4 weeks.

To get a one year ED visa, you will be required to study 8 hours a week, or a minimum of 4 days a week.

Currently, you can get a 3 month ED visa, and extend every 90 days up to one year, if you study 4 hours a week.

The MOE state you have to attend 70% or more of your classes to keep your visa.

Yes, we are a Ministry of Education licensed Tutor and Vocational Language school in Koh Samui.

Yes, in both English and Thai courses reading and writing are covered in our normal classes. However our shorter Thai refresher courses only cover spoken.

Yes, you just need to enroll in a new course.

If you are in Thailand when your passport expires then you will need to follow your countries rules regarding getting a new passport.

By train, plain, boat, car, mini bus, coach. Really anyway you like. The routes are commonly traveled in Thailand, just inquire with us or at a travel agency.

We have a Russian liaison officer who will be happy to help any Russian nationals with their issues.

A standard class with normally have 10 students, when we hit 12 we split the classes in two.

No, but you need to provide information on the student form about your course, year, name of school so we can place you in the right class.

Bank statements, education certificates and any other personal information you need to submit will only need to be translated if you apply in Thailand. If you’re applying within your country, then no need.

If your applying from your country then normally not. If you’re in Thailand then yes.

Samui-immigration-office • Koh Samui Language & Vocational School

Thailand travel restriction as of May 5, 2022

, ,
Thailand travel restriction as of May 5, 2022
Chulia • Koh Samui Language & Vocational School

Where to Stay and What to Do on an ED Visa Trip to Penang

, ,
An Introduction to Penang An ED visa trip from Koh Samui to Penang shouldn’t be viewed with exasperation; Penang is an island rich with history, culture, diversity, and cuisine. Penang has long been a haven for traders of all kinds dating…