Update visa news
As everybody knows, visa requirements, rules and procedures keep changing. Therefore we would like to give you an update about the new requirements for the ED visa. The Thai ministry of education is requesting a criminal background check for new students and students getting a second-year ED visa. So, if you are a new student or applying for a new year this only applies to you.
The good news is that for most nationalities you can obtain this National Police Certificate online. When this is not possible for your nationality you must apply to the consular section of the nearest embassy of your country. So for example, if you are French you can obtain the police certificate online, but if you are Russian you have to visit the nearest Russian embassy.
Please find the websites below for nationalities that can apply online.
Citizens of the United Kingdom
Citizens of France
Citizens of Germany
Citizens of Switzerland
Please find the information for Russian citizens below.
To obtain the Police Clearance Certificate the following documents are required.
* Copy of the main page of your current valid passport
* Copy of the main pages as well as registration pages of your domestic passport (for Russian Citizens only)
* Exact place of birth
* Previous names (in case you have changed them)
* Present citizenship
* Periods and places of stay while in Russia (for the citizens of other countries and Russian citizens without registration in Russia)
Effective from the 29th of August this year, the Thailand authorities once again implemented a new set of rules for visa extensions, outlining who can, and more importantly, cannot, extend their visa in the Kingdom of Thailand. They are as follows;
- Anyone in the Kingdom who are nationals of ‘certain’ countries who are permitted 30 days entry upon entering Thailand, can only extend this once, not exceeding 30 days from the expiry of the entry stamp.
- If the tourist is not granted the extension due to incomplete qualifications, then the alien shall be granted 7 days extension to be used to leave the Kingdom.
- Anyone seeking an education visa shall only be granted 90 days, 3 months, at one time. And so can extend this visa up to a maximum of 1 year. At which point the alien will have to leave and re-enter Thailand with a new visa.
- Anyone under taking work for a charity organization, a foundation, a non-government organization, an association, a foreign chamber of commerce or the Federation of Thai industries, without a letter from a relevant government department, shall be granted no longer than 90 days, but are able to extend their visa up to and not exceeding 1 year since the entry date to the Kingdom.
While these extension rules have been made clear and officially are the only set of rules in place, it still begs the question of how long they will be imposed for before another set of rules is rolled out.
While these rules are clear and un-doubtably fair, it still won’t guarantee entry to someone following them to the letter, as different visa departments and different border crossings are interpreting the new rules as they see fit, while trying to refuse entry to enough tourists to make it look like they’re doing their job.
At the moment all we can do is hold our breath as we go for those dreaded visa extensions, a deadly game a Russian roulette follows, with the denial stamp being held at your head, and you’re only thought is a small prayer hoping it hasn’t been inked to stamp. And maybe this time, you’ll get away, miss the shot, but next time it’s a whole new game.
Follow us on Facebook
- Confirmation of New Education visa immigration RulesNovember 28, 2014 - 7:07 am
- New KSTVS websiteOctober 18, 2013 - 12:37 pm
- 5/12/14 – Crackdown in Phuket and BangkokDecember 5, 2014 - 7:45 am
- Our Intermediate ClassAugust 7, 2017 - 8:51 am
- Our Intermediate Class • Koh Samui Language & Vocational...August 7, 2017 - 8:55 am
- Learn English on Koh Samui: Your Gateway to SuccessAugust 21, 2023 - 11:07 am
- Discovering the Thai Language: Why KSTVS in Samui is the...August 14, 2023 - 5:33 am
- Transform Your Thailand Experience with Thai Language Learning...May 13, 2023 - 9:27 am
- Education Visa Rules Updated April 2023April 26, 2023 - 3:50 am
- Learn Thai in Koh SamuiApril 24, 2023 - 11:15 am
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. Saturday 8am to 4pm.
Adult group classes run from 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 3pm weekdays
Child group classes are run from 4pm to 6pm weekdays. And 9 am to 12pm OR 1pm to 4pm Saturdays
We are located on the central north coast of Koh Samui, near Mae Nam:
11/8 Moo 1, Maenam
Koh Samui, Surat Thani, 84330, Thailand